Sunday 1 April 2012

"Finlandia" - Ukulele Arrangement by Ukulele Mike Lynch - Comprehensive Tutorial...



In my childhood, I don't remember a time when there wasn't some "serious" music in my life. In the late fifties, when I was small, the radio was always on, the "light" programme, as it used to be called - the only equivalent to Radios 1 and 2 in the UK today. So there was plenty of popular music, with smatterings of popular classics, usually in the request programmes. That was where people of all ages heard such music as the pieces used in Disney's "Fantasia," some Chopin.....Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" and film music like Nino Rota's "The Legend of the Glass Mountain", and Richard Adinsell's "Warsaw Concerto". My mother loved these. If these last two came on the radio, all activity literally came to a standstill while she listened. And it all seeped into my soul. By thirteen, I was head-over-heels with the music of the Beatles, and any classical music that touched that other part of me.

"Finlandia" by Sibelius was one of those pieces that you heard on the radio from time to time. The melody conjures up the peace and tranquility of the dark, coniferous forests and the snowy vistas of Scandinavia. Ukulelemike Mike Lynch has arranged it as a solo for ukulele - and, wonders - it isn't a difficult piece. You can get the tab, but watch the video and the tutorial and you may get it from that alone. Thank you, Mike!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!