Tuesday 10 February 2015

Back from Madeira, home of the machete, fore-runner of the ukulele. Watch this space!

LSH and I have been away in search of winter sun.

We stayed in Funchal, the capital of he island of Madeira...

Madeira is the home of the little machete, the instrument taken to Hawaii by Portuguese immigrants in the 1860's, and which was taken up by delighted Hawaiians who modified it slightly to became the ukulele we love.

I went in search of the machete - and I found it. Watch this space!

Meanwhile, if you don't know the story of how the machete traveled to Hawaii and gave birth to the uke, read it here.... beautifully told by the late, great John King....

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!